Top 10 Foods You Should Never Give Your Dog

These are foods your precious pooches should avoid at all cost as they can lead to serious health issues and even fatality.

Keep these foods out of the way of those peckish Pomeranians and greedy Great Danes.

This is Griffin – our miniature Labradoodle. He’s given us many scares over the years – once gobbling down most of a bar of dark chocolate (there were a few calls to the Vet after this).

He also managed to find some rat poison at a shop, this lead to multiple vet trips, and a very worried owner.

Foods are listed in no particular order.

1. Avocado

Surprisingly avocado is highly toxic to dogs and other animals such as cats and horses. This is largely due to a toxic chemical called persin.

Also, the avocado peel and stone is harmful as it could cause an air-blockage in the oesophagus. Avocado poisoning can lead to mild stomach cramps to liver and kidney failure.

Therefore avoid giving avocado to your dog at all. So, no more guacamole for your hungry hounds!

2. Raw Potatoes

Raw potatoes have a high amount of harmful solanine and chacoine.

Solanine is a naturally occurring defense mechanism potato plants produce to deter insects. The symptoms of solanine and chacoine poisoning can include heart problems, stomach cramps, breathing issues and neurological damage.

Boiled potatoes can be eaten by dogs but it is not recommended as dogs shouldn’t have too many carbs in their diet.

3. Chocolate

Chocolate is one of the worst foods a dog can consume as it contains high amounts of theobromine and caffeine.

Too much chocolate can lead to:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • seizures, and in worst cases
  • coma and fatality

So make sure your chocolate is stored far out of reach from your pets.

Don’t share your sneaky midnight snack with your labrador puppy even if he’s begging with his cute puppy dog eyes and adorable doggy grin!

Cocoa powder has the highest amounts of theobromine, then cooking chocolate, dark chocolate, and milk chocolate. DO NOT feed your dog any of these!

4. Xylitol Artificial Sweetner

Xylitol is an artificial sweetener hiding in many surprising foods such as baked goods, peanut butter and gum.

It is used to as a replacement for sugar. Because xylitol is an artificial sweetener the pancreas releases insulin (in dogs). High insulin causes the blood sugar level to decrease which leads to hypoglycaemia. High xylitol toxicity ultimately leads to liver failure.

The signs of xylitol toxicity can show within 10 minutes of consumption or be delayed to the next few days.

5. Salt

Salt is extremely poisonous to dogs.

Trust us when we say your bulldog isn’t frowning at you because he wants a seasoned gourmet meal, that’s just his face.

Salt poisoning in dogs can vary in health complications including:

  • Coma
  • Fever
  • Nausea
  • Muscle spasms
  • Breathing problems
  • Fatality

6. Onions and Garlic

The Allium genus includes shallots, onions, leeks, scallions, and garlic. Despite being an essential ingredient in many human meals, alliums are toxic to dogs. Whether fresh or dried, the organosulfoxides in the bulbous plants are hazardous to your pets.

Symptoms include:

Vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of appetite. Other indicators are dark urine (reddish or brown), and rapid breathing.

From 1994 to 2008, 69 cases of canine poisoning were reported to the VPIS.

7. Grapes, Sultanas, and Raisins

Grapes (and their dried forms including sultanas, currants, and raisins) are not good for your pooch. There is huge variation in toxicity with some dogs showing signs of renal failure after just 4-5 grapes. Other dog have consumed a lot more, and shown no ill-effects.

Whether fresh or cooked (such as christmas mince pies), your dog should never eat any grape product.

8. Macadamia Nuts

Macadamias are a great low-cholesterol snack for humans, but not so good for dogs. Whether in raw form, or baked into biscuits and cakes, Macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs.

As little as 0.7 grams of Macadamia per kilogram of dog weight has been associated with symptoms.

Within 12 hours of ingestion, look for: weakness (particularly hind limb weakness), depression, vomiting, ataxia (staggering around), tremors, hyperthermia, abdominal pain, or lameness.

In Queensland 83 cases over 5 years were reported.

9. Caffeine

It’s unlikely you’ll be feeding your dog a shot of espresso for breakfast, however caffeine is toxic (both to humans and dogs).

Containing similar compounds to chocolate (called methylxanthines), caffeine will adversely affect humans at higher doses, and dogs in much smaller amounts.

Poisoning has occurred from dogs eating caffeine tablets, or other caffeine-containing supplements. However such poisoning is rare.

10. Corn on the Cob

Some people think dogs are human food-waste disposers. A dogs shorter digestive system helps them avoid some of the food-borne pathogens that ail us – but they can’t eat everything.

Some foods, like corn cobs (and cooked bones) can prove hazardous.

Corn cobs do not break down easily, and can get lodged in your dogs intestinal track.

Look for vomiting, reduced (or no) appetite, absence of faeces and abdominal discomfort.

If your dog has consumed any of these foods and are showing any symptoms then contact your vet as quickly as possible.

If you are unsure of whether to feed your dog a particular food go to a trusted vet or animal care professional and only feed your dog its proper food.

It’s better to be safe than sorry!

Comments